Department of Pathology
- Programs of Study
- Residency & Employment Opportunities
- Course Offerings
- Pathheads Student Club
- Activities & Outreach
Welcome to Veterinary Pathology!
Veterinary pathology is the study of the nature, causes, and effects of animal disease. The Department of Pathology at The University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine is dedicated to the study, diagnosis and control of animal disease through our veterinary student curriculum, residency and graduate training programs, ongoing research, and quality diagnostic services.
Points of Interest
Prospective students should visit Programs of Study for information about our residency, externship, and graduate programs (MS and PhD) in veterinary pathology.
Visit Noah's Arkive for information on this extensive veterinary pathology image collection teaching resource. Pathmaster remains in development at this time.
News & Events
- [May 10, 2013] Congratulations to our many Phi Zeta Award Winners: Dr. Buffy Howerth, Dr. Uriel Blas, Dr. Kaori Sakamoto, Dr. Annie Page-Karjian. Read more..
- [May 10, 2013] Congratulations to Mireya Smith (student worker in Pathology) received the UGA Student of the Year Award
- [May 10, 2013] Congratulations to Corrie Brown: winner of the 2013 AVMA XIIth International Veterinary Congress Prize
- [May 10, 2013] Congratulations to our Dept. Head, Dr. Keith Harris, for winning the ACVP President's award for his outstanding service to the American College of Veterinary Pathologists
- [May 10, 2013] Congratulations to Dr. Annie Paige-Karjian for receiving an AAZV (American Association of Zoological Veterinarians) Research Grant recipient for her project. Read more..
- [May 10, 2013] Congratulations to Dr. Monique Franca, who successfully completed her anatomic pathology residency and defended her PhD on the pathology of Avian Influenza. Read more..
- [May 10, 2013] Congratulations to Dr. Karelma Frontera-Acevedo for successfully defending her PhD on the pathogenesis of Cytauxzoon felis in cats. Read more..
- [May 10, 2013] Congratulations to Dr. Mauricio Seguel for winning an Society of Aquatic Animal Medicine Travel Award. Read more..
- [May 10, 2013] Congratulations to our anatomic pathology residents who recently successfully completed their residency and are preparing to pass the 'quiz in the cornfield' (ACVP pathology boards) this Fall. Read more..
- [May 10, 2013] Congratulation to our wonderful clinical pathology resident, Dr. Paola Cazzini, who just completed her clin path residency.Read more..
- [May 10, 2013] Congratulations to Dr. Betsy Uhl for receiving an NIH Grant.
- [Jan. 11, 2013] Congratulations to Dr. Annie Page for receiving a Sigma Xi Grants in Aid of Research award to support her work on the pathogenesis of sea turtle fibropapillomatosis.
- [Jan. 10, 2013] Congratulations to all of our grad students and residents who received awards at ACVP 2012. Read more..
- [Nov. 7, 2012] Congratulations to all of our grad students and residents who gave talks and posters in the UGA College of Veterinary Medicine Science of Veterinary Medicine Research day in October, you all did a great job! Our winners were: Read more..
- [Nov. 7, 2012] Congratulations to Dr. Jusun Hwang for winning the best graduate student poster award at the 2012 Southeastern Branch of American Society of Microbiology Meeting.
- [Oct. 22, 2012] VPAT 8000 Seminar: "Welcome to the pink Wasteland.". Location: Room 149, Date: 11/6/2012, Time: 11:00 AM.
- [Oct. 23, 2012] VPAT 8000 Seminar: "In Search of Biomarkers for Physiologically Relevant 3D Microtissue Formation in Vitro - Who Needs Them?". Location: CVM Board Room, Date: 10/25/2012, Time: 12:00 PM.
- [Oct. 22, 2012] VPAT 8000 Seminar: "Hardcore Pathology - Bone Marrow Cases". Location: Room 149, Date: 10/23/2012, Time: 12:00 PM.
- [Sep. 7, 2012] VPAT 8000 Seminar: "Virus, Vaccine and Cancer Therapy". Location: CVM Board Room, Date: 9/14/2012, Time: 12:20 PM.
- [Sep. 5, 2012] VPAT 8000 Seminar: "A Smorgasbord of Aquatics". Location: Room 149, Date: 9/11/2012, Time: 11:00 AM.
- [Aug. 27, 2012] VPAT 8000 Seminar: "Picture This". Location: Room 149, Date: 8/28/2012, Time: 11:00 AM.
- [Aug. 20, 2012] VPAT 8000 Seminar: "A Short Discussion on Selected Small Animal Parasites". Location: Room 149, Date: 8/21/2012, Time: 12:00 PM.
- [Aug. 13, 2012] VPAT 8000 Seminar: "Introduction & Description Basics". Location: Room 149, Date: 8/14/2012, Time: 11:00 AM.
- [June 27, 2012] University of Georgia CURO students explore research topics during summer break. A group of University of Georgia undergraduates has been named 2012 summer fellows by UGA's Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities. Read more..
-  CURO Student Spotlight: Lindsey Megow, One of Dr. Sakamoto's students, was featured as a CURO Summer fellow, 2011. Read more..
- [August 4, 2012] Continuing Education Course hosted by the Department of Pathology: Introduction to Immunohistochemistry for Histologists, Technicians, Veterinarians, Medical Professionals, and Researchers: Theory and Technique. This hands on course will provide histologists, laboratory technicians, graduate students, medical professionals and researchers with the essential information needed to understand the theory and practice of immunohistochemistry. For more information and registration: Click here!
Image: Raquel Rech
Department of Pathology
College of Veterinary Medicine
The University of Georgia
501 D.W. Brooks Drive
Athens, GA 30602-7388
Christy Morris, Business Manager I
Megan Troutman, Administrative Specialist I
Jennifer Kempf, Administrative Associate II
Dr. Bridget Garner
Clinical Pathology Residency Coordinator