Kitten and puppy classes play a very important role in preventing behavior problems, training young cats and dogs, educating owners about behavior, and promoting a great time that strengthens the bond between you and your pet. Plus, it is fun! Classes can help you and your pet learn how to:
- Properly socialize with other animals and different types of people (children, elderly, people in uniforms, etc.)
- Explore and play appropriately with other animals and develop confidence in new surroundings
- Avoid the most common behavior problems
- Learn feline and canine body language
- Shape your pet’s behavior by rewarding proper behaviors and redirecting inappropriate ones, rather than by punishing unwanted behaviors
- Give and understand basic training commands such as "come" and "sit"
- Manage handling and grooming tasks (grooming, nail trims, tooth brushing, traveling in a carrier, belly exam, ear exam, mouth exam, etc.)
- Become comfortable with noises and other potential scary stimuli
The most common reason for aggression in companion animals is fear. By socializing your pet and introducing him or her to a variety of new situations in a controlled environment, you can help to prevent serious issues in the future.