Office of Continuing Education: Practitioner Sabbatical
- CE Home
- Download our fax/mail registration form
- CE Policies
- Directions, Transportation & Parking
- Practitioner Sabbatical
- Annual Veterinary Conference and Reunion
- Sign up for our mailing list
Practitioner Sabbatic Program
What Is It?
Do you want more hands on experience in continuing education than is usually provided in lectures and short courses?
Our Practitioner Sabbatical Program for veterinarians provides an opportunity to observe and participate in the daily medical and surgical activities of a large referral teaching hospital. There is the opportunity to learn with specialists in your area of interest.
Is This Program Right for Me?
The program should be useful for:
- The established practicing veterinarian who wants to work in a specialty area, or just wants a more meaningful continuing education experience.
- Veterinarians who are anticipating a mid-career change. For example, changing from large animal practice to small animal practice or leaving a non-practice position to enter small animal practice.
- Veterinarians who are preparing for the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners examination.
Individualized Programs for Veterinarians
We are offering a personalized program tailored to meet individual goals. As a participant, you will join a team of specialists, residents, interns and students as they participate in outpatient receiving, diagnostic studies, in-depth case rounds, ward rounds, radiological procedures, and surgery.
In planning your program you may select from specialized areas:
- Exotic Animal Medicine
- General Surgery
- Internal Medicine
- Orthopedic & Neurosurgery
- Radiology & Diagnostic Imaging
Enrollment and Fees
The routine day begins before 8 a.m., and continues until 5 p.m. (Monday — Friday). Most days include rounds and a discussion of case management.
Every other day on surgery rotations is a surgery day. You will earn 4 hrs of CE credit each day.
We have weekly rates and daily rates depending on your needs. The weekly rate is $400.00 and the daily rate is $80.00. There is also a $50.00 administrative fee. Each practitioner should provide his or her own professional hospital attire and standard equipment (stethoscope).
Candidates should process their request through the Continuing Education department at the College of Veterinary Medicine. Please email Melissa Kilpatrick with the exact dates you would like to attend, a brief resume and a statement of objectives and/or areas of interest.
This page was last updated on May 22, 2014.